Saturday, July 08, 2006

Reservations and SMS

I get few SMSes.Most of them relate to some promotions which I just see and erase. I am not completely averse to it and neither am for it.Its just one of those things that you become indifferent to. So, "DOWNLOAD" this and "WATCH FOR" or "SHOP FOR" that - doesnt gain my attention anymore.But today I got a different SMS.It did catch my attention and it stated:

"Send "NO" to 6388 to vote against RESERVATION SC/ST on NDTV.Pls fwd to all concerned. At least we can do this much for our rights"

It wasnt an issue that had concerned me yet despite so much hullabaloo happening about it.I am one of those INDIFFERENT INTELLECTUAL INDIAN CYNICS (I3C) Who talk big and talk anything without knowing the nuances of what they are talking about and when it comes to action there isnt much they think they can do. "Making a difference through their words" is their motto when they know anyway it doesnt really work.

Suddenly there was an issue on my mobile. There was something I was being told I can do about the issue. It was looking at me stark in my face.It wasnt a tough choice.

It was almost predecided what am supposed to do.SMS was worded very precisely and clearly.I had to just follow the command.It was decided for me that I was to Say "NO" to 6388 to vote against reservations.I did it. But after doing it I read it time and again and realised how it played on my thoughts and mind. It was a neat trick. It told me what to do , also gave me a reason to do it and offered me an option to view the results as well. I had done something for an issue. Was it changing me, transforming me within , I wondered.But I realised,I am still a part of the I3Cs. I still dont care.

As part of the I3Cs let me try and explain what the Reservations and SMS issue means to me.
- I still dont care much about reservations
- I was tricked into saying "NO" to reservations and though it doesnt matter much am just bothered about Rs 2 or 3 that i will be charged for it.
- I dont think my SMS will nmake a difference to the issue
- I think the only party to benefit in the process is NDTV and their mobile partner 6388.

Qoutas, Reservations , Preferential Rights..........SMSes - for what and for whom? But I guess it works better than going on a hunger strike or sitting for a Dharna. With the tech boom there is hope for I3Cs.They may finally act , even if it involves some vested interests.

No comments: