Saturday, August 18, 2007

Brand the Nation, Sell the soul


What is the highest level of branding that can be attained? You brand a sport , music , movies and any other form of entertainment and reach its audience but how about reaching a nation of one billion and more. The challenge is great. There aren’t any easy answers. Well is it that difficult after all?

Its pretty simple. You brand a nation. India shining or perhaps take a national symbol and brand it. Just to check the current status, there are many underlying opportunities that I see in the coming future.

National anthem - Jan Gan Man - Branded as Jaya he - by Airtel
One billion hearts - One voice - Airtel. Brilliant. Bravo.

But this is just the beginning. We have a whole range of national symbols still available.
National Flag - available - Opportunity: Can fit with some textile brand
National Animal - available - Opportunity: Can fit with some bike/car brand
National Bird - available - Opportunity: Can fit with some female designer brand
And various other national symbols…

But I do have a problem. My problem isn’t the branding. My problem is why should these national symbols branding come for free?

The government suffers from a perpetual fiscal deficit , year after year, so why not auction each of our national symbols. After all we have auctioned most of it slowly and steadily. Why leave this or worst of all let it go for free? So charge for it.

Reminds me of my friend who smiles and says with absolute comfort that he has sold his soul. I have wondered many a time , how? But for once I guess I trust what he says for if the national symbol of a country can be branded and marketed , why can’t a poor soul be sold?

No comments: